Monday, November 24, 2014

Giving Thanks for Our Pets



See that big lug sleeping on the sofa?

I'm very thankful for that guy, Trout, being in my life. He's been with me almost 10 years, and I wouldn't trade a day of his companionship.

I'm sure many of you feel the same way about your pet. So, when you're counting your blessings this Thanksgiving, make sure you include thanks for your four-legged friend.

My life would not be the same without Trout. He's been a constant through a few relationships that went South, two moves, two cars, career highs and lows and an in-between jobs time. He made the loss of my mom's dog easier for her to deal with, and he welcomed three new dogs into the family.

Trout has made sleeping in the woods easier when I knew there were bears out there. He also patrolled our campsites and chased off other critters he thought were a threat.

Trout remains alert every single night. Who knows what or who he's barking at at 2 a.m. on a Wednesday, but I'm glad he's here and keeping whatever or whoever out there. I sleep a lot better when Trout is around.

Trout's personality is gigantic. I love when he shows up and stares at me early in the morning as I contemplate taking on the day. I'm convinced my friends like me more because Trout makes them feel welcome after his happy dance by presenting them with a gift (usually one of his toys or one of my shoes). He can walk and howl at the same time. He watches airplanes fly overhead. He chases bees. He loves children. Sometimes he rests his head in the crook of my neck. He lets me use him as a pillow sometimes.

There are at least a thousand more reasons why I'm thankful for Trout being in my life. To show my thanks, I'm going to give him one of his favorite things: A long walk and some play time in the park. Your pet will be even more thankful for you if you also spend a little extra time with him or her during this busy holiday season.

I would be remiss if I didn't also give thanks for the shelter that cared for Trout before I met him. The shelter staff kept him in a clean space, treated him well, provided food, water and a comfortable place to lay his head at night. Trout, then Rocky, was a healthy and happy dog when we met.

If you got your dog or cat from a shelter or a rescue, you know how much work goes into caring for these homeless animals. If you didn't get your pet from such an organization, consider the cost and effort to care for your pet, then multiply it by the number of animals at your local shelter or rescue. Plus, the cost of utilities and the time spent staffing and performing the hundreds of other duties involved maintaining the organization.

Let's give thanks that these animals are being cared for and given a home until they get their forever home. Please consider showing your thanks by volunteering, making a donation, fostering or adopting.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Let us know why you're thankful for your dog or cat in the comment section!





No comments:

Post a Comment